Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Deep wells of the soul.

I was talking to a friend of mine who I have known for years and she was telling me about this crazy episode of her life before I knew her. She had been taking a medication and stopped and the withdrawals threw her into a temporarily insane mental state. The drug has since been proven to be dangerous for adolescents, but at the time no one knew what was going on. It was frightening and would leave scars on her forever.

The reason I write about this is because I never knew about it before. In all the years we have been friends she only mentioned to me a few times that something bad had happened to her. And having her tell me about it made me realize that people are like deep wells and you never know what is really inside of them or what has happened to them. I was wondering about all the girls at church or the people in my classes and what kind of sad or terrible things have happened to them that they simply don't talk about. You just never know what a person has experienced and sometimes understanding helps you to love a person better and to not be held back from sincere friendships. How can you know if you don't try to get to know someone?